The San Gabriel Police Department recently shared their “21st Century Policing Task Force report,” highlighting the department’s accomplishments and current public safety strategies and tactics.
SGPD continues to work hard every day to strengthen the police-community partnership while maintaining public safety in the community. They continue to seek opportunities to foster effective community partnerships with residents, businesses, and visitors.
The report included the following topics:
‣ Building trust by prioritizing community interactions over enforcement actions, and achieving workforce diversity to represent the various communities. Currently, SGPD’s personnel consists of 80% minorities, with 42% being bilingual, and 27% female.
‣ Periodically review policy and oversight to better align with the community’s values. In order to become more transparent with the community and to gain a better understanding of the reasons behind enforcement stops, SGPD has implemented evidence-based policing through data collection.
‣ Adopting new technology and less-lethal tools, such as TASERs, dash cams, and body-worn cameras, to make operations more efficient and effective.
‣ Use social media to better inform the public and prevent crimes.
‣ Incorporate an educational approach through community policing and crime reduction programs such as Camp SG, the District Lieutenant program, and the Community Academy to build trust and cooperation among the communities.
‣ Training and education to ensure they can serve the San Gabriel community as best as possible and to provide officers with opportunities to grow within SGPD.
‣ Focus on officer wellness and safety in SGPD’s culture.
Watch SGPD's presentation here