Community Services is proud to celebrate the month of May as National Water Safety Month. This promotion is designed to make San Gabriel residents more water aware as summertime approaches and we seek out pools to cool off from the heat.
We encourage parents to teach their children water safety and swimming skills as early as possible and to follow these guidelines around water:
- Learn and practice water safety skills.
- Stay close, be alert and watch children in and around the pool.
- Appoint a designated watcher to monitor children during social gatherings poolside.
- Equip doors and windows that exit to a pool area with alarms.
- Keep working rescue equipment poolside. Don’t wait for the paramedics to arrive because you will lose valuable lifesaving seconds.
- Don’t leave objects such as toys that might attract a child in the pool and pool area.
- Ensure any pool and spa you use has compliant drain covers.
Community Services offers summer swim lessons for all ages of children and adults. We encourage residents to register their children or themselves for these important life-saving lessons. For more information about swim lessons, please contact Community Services at 626.308.2875 or register online.