With the holidays now approaching, now is the time to begin researching for potential gifts for family members, friends and colleagues. As you search for gifts, be sure to consider the following items from local San Gabriel businesses as we commemorate Small Business Saturday. To create this guide, we’ve consulted with local San Gabriel businesses with their best gift suggestions, including a select number of products to satisfy several price brackets.
A great choice for any occasion, rings are a popular item during the holiday season. To help flesh out our ring section, we consulted with G.H. Wilke & Co located on 612 West Las Tunas Drive. Here is what they recommended for those looking for some unique rings:
- Best pick: A two-tone rose gold ring
- This piece is intended for women who prefer something more modern that can be used for everyday use and wear. This freeform item features two 14 karat gold rings, including one ring that features 39 points of total weight in diamond. This is a great choice for something youthful.
- Cost: $1,605
- Something better: A Tanzanite ring
- This custom-made piece features a 5.69 carat Tanzanite center stone plated in 18 karat white hold with 42 points of total weight in diamond. This is a unique piece with an antique curvature. The inset stones are paved, and the piece carries a classic elegance with a newer stone cut that carries broad appeal. This is an excellent piece for someone with a refined and developed taste.
- Cost: $12,500
- The best: A classic diamond ring
- This classic diamond ring features three stones, with its centerpiece weighing in at 1.75 carats. This luxurious piece can be customized depending on your taste, and it’s an excellent choice for engagements or special occasions. This is an excellent choice for those looking to give their significant other a truly classic and timeless piece of jewelry.
- Cost: $13,500
Like rings, necklaces are also a great choice for those who are looking for a small memento to cherish a memory, or something fashionable and unique that can make a statement. Here are several choices, as chosen by the experts at G.H. Wilke & Co.
- Best pick: A trendy gold bar necklace
- A contemporary piece of 14 karat gold jewelry with three color variations in rose, white or traditional gold, this necklace is great for someone youthful who’s interested in a small and simple every-day staple piece.
- Cost: $225
- Something better: A gold charm necklace
- Shaped as a small envelope with a small 2 point diamond at its center, this 14 karat gold charm necklace is perfect for someone young as a symbol of love or appreciation.
- Cost: $395
- The best: A special gold pendent with Rhodochrosite colored stone
- This custom-made piece features a 22 karat gold pendent set with a Rhodochrosite salmon-colored stone. This piece is designed for someone who wishes to make a statement, and pairs up nicely with almost everything for an individual who has a more sophisticated and refined taste.
- Cost: $9,000
For those who are looking to get fit or active, we consulted with Jeff’s Sporting Goods (located at 865 East Las Tunas Drive) and Golden Golf Mart (located at 320 West Las Tunas Drive) for some fun sports equipment. Since everyone wants varying levels of intensity, we’ve boiled our choices based on low, moderate and high intensity sports.
- Low intensity: golf
- A relatively tranquil sport, golf combines concentration and skill in a relatively low intensity package. Golden Golf Mart offers several choices for those who are interested in golf, including a kid’s beginner set (which ranges from $139 to $199) to a high-end adult beginner set ($1000) – both of which include the necessary clubs in order to complete a full game. For experienced golfers who are looking to add to their collection, Callaway golf drivers (which range from $399 to $499) and Scotty Cameron putters (from $199 to $379).
- Medium intensity: baseball
- For baseball, we consulted with Jeff’s Sporting Goods for a selection of baseball bats and baseball gloves. An entry level aluminum bat will run from $25 to $60, with globes running from $30 to $50. Like golf, baseball also includes several high-end options, including bats from Easton and Louseville Bats for around $500.
- High intensity: basketball
- If you’re looking to push the limit, basketball is a great inexpensive sport to delve into, with basketballs running from $30 to $60. Jeff’s recommends rubber basketball for outdoor courts, and composite leather balls for indoor games. Well-known names to be on the lookout for include Wilson Sporting Goods and Spalding.
In the midst of complexity and our growing reliance on smartphones and smartwatches, nothing still replaces the simplicity and tradition of a mechanical watch. That’s why we consulted with Hing Wa Lee Jewelers located at 1625 South Del Mar Avenue for a list of their best watches for three price categories.
- Something modern: Tissot watches
- Without referencing a specific lineup, Tissot offers a selection of affordable, yet modern watches for those who are looking for a relatively simple, yet sophisticated time-keeping accessory for their wrist. Tissot watches are generally aimed for younger audiances, with various options to scale up. Best of all? Many models are under $1000.
- Cost: $800 and up
- Something classic, yet sporty: the Rolex Oyster Perpetual
- A renowned name, Rolex’s Oyster Perpetual is a traditional, yet sporty watch with high quality materials backed by a five-year warranty. Its relatively slim water-resistant body makes this a good choice for those who prefer to keep the same watch for many occasions.
- Cost: $5,000 and up
- Something high-end
- Building off the Rolex name, the Rolex Dateyest is a classic luxurious watch for those who are looking for a truly timeless timepiece. Starting at $8,000, the Datejust features several options – such as diamond accents – that allow you scale up, budget permitting. Though larger than the Oyster Perpetual, this watch is perfect for those who want that classic Rolex style.
- Cost: $8,000 and up
If you are looking for a simpler gift, try gifting a bottle of wine this holiday season. The versatility of a wine gift is what makes this a popular item choice. You can find a variety of prices and blends at Uncle Fossil Wine & Spirits, located at 300 East Las Tunas Drive. Below is a list of some great red wines for consideration.
- Best pick: PA Valley Pinot Noir
- A fragrant and full-bodied Pinot Noir, this wine contains aromas of cherry, raspberry, cedar and spice. This wine pairs up excellently with grilled chicken or roasted lamb – perfect for someone who’s a wine traditionalist.
- Cost: $19.99
- Budget pick: William Hill North Coast Cabernet Sauvignon
- Blended with a touch of Merlot, this wine has a rich array of dark fruit flavors, with subtle hints of caramel and cocoa. Although these aromas are present, this wine is surprisingly mild and light, making it a perfect choice for those who are eager to jumpstart their interest in wine.
- Cost: $16.99
- Luxury pick: Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon
- A bold tasting Cabernet with flavors of black fruit, mocha, bay and black pepper, this wine features a sweet yet bold finish, making it a perfect drink for any elegant occasion.
- Cost: $63.99