When Is a Permit Required?

A permit is required when: “Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace and electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.” (2013 California Building Code- 2013 California Residential Code. Chapter 1; section 105.1) 

Examples of Items that Do Not Require a Permit

  • Build a tool shed less than 120 sq. ft.*
  • Paint the exterior of my house
  • Repaint my bedroom
  • Repair leaky piping or clear stoppages
  • Replace the cabinets in my kitchen
  • Tile a room in my house
*Permit not required, but Planning Division approval is required.

Examples of items that Require a Permit

  • Add a gas line
  • Add a sign for my business
  • Add a sink / shower/ toilets
  • Add central air-conditioning
  • Add lawn sprinklers
  • Build a block wall or retaining wall
    higher than 3 ft.
  • Build a patio cover (lattice or solid)
  • Build a walking deck / porch less than
    30 inches above grade
  • Build a wall under 3 ft. or a fence
  • Build an addition to my house
  • Enclose a patio
  • Window replacement/new windows
  • Get a large trash dumpster in front of my house
  • Install a water-heater
  • Install new fire sprinklers
  • Install new light fixture or ceiling fan
  • Install new outlets, switches, or plugs
  • Install new plumbing
  • Put in a spa (in-ground or above-ground)
  • Put in a swimming pool
  • Put in an above-ground swimming pool less
    than 5000 gal.
  • Replace existing piping
  • Re-roof my house
The carrier of the permit application and proxy form must provide a legible copy of:

• The contractor's or owner's driver's license or other approved identification
• Copy of the front and back of the signed contractor's state license card
• A copy of the incorporation papers indicating the authorized person(s) and their proof of identification (if applicable)