Historic Context Statement
The City of San Gabriel is embarking upon the preparation of its first citywide Historic Context Statement. A team of historians from Architectural Resources Group (ARG) will be completing this project over the next year in close collaboration with City staff, the Historic Preservation and Cultural Resource Commission, the San Gabriel City Council, and members of the community. The Historic Context Statement will establish a framework for the evaluation of significant architectural, historical, and cultural resources in the City, and can be used as the basis for historic resources surveys in the future.
The project is expected to take approximately one year to complete, with a final draft of the Historic Context Statement completed by September 2021. Due to social distancing protocols associated with COVID-19, all public hearings and workshops will be conducted remotely until further notice. Please continue to check back for more information about meeting dates, times, and format.
• September 2020: Project begins
• October 21, 2020: Public meeting: Historic Preservation and Cultural Resource Commission (HPCRC). You can view the meeting on City's YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/cityofsangabriel
• Fall 2020: Consultant team will conduct historical research and review public input
• November 19, 2020: Virtual community workshop at 6:30 p.m. The PowerPoint Presentation shared at the workshop: Historic Context Statement Community Workshop
• Winter 2020: Consultant team will complete a reconnaissance survey of the City
• February 10, 2021: Public meeting: Historic Preservation and Cultural Resource Commission (HPCRC). You can view the meeting on City's YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/cityofsangabriel.
• Spring 2021: Consultant team will prepare the Draft Historic Context Statement
• June 2, 2021: Draft Historic Context Statement is available for public comment.
• June 23, 2021: Public meeting: Historic Preservation and Cultural Resource Commission (HPCRC). You can view the meeting on City's YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/cityofsangabriel
• Summer 2021: Consultant team will prepare the Final Historic Context Statement.
• August 25, 2021: Public meeting: Historic Preservation and Cultural Resource Commission (HPCRC) at 6:30 p.m.
• September 2021: Project completion
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How to Participate
Do you have information about the history of San Gabriel that you’d like to share? There are several ways you can participate:
(1) Attend one of the four public meetings of the HPCRC
(2) Attend the public workshop
(3) You can also contact the City directly to share information: Planning Division - Matt Chang, email@example.com
Public Information Submittal Form
Please use the following links to submit public information:
1. *Name of Building, Place, or Topic
2. *Address or Location (if applicable – please be as specific as possible)
3. *Tell Us More
4. Contact Information (optional)
a. Your name
b. Your e-mail address
c. Your phone number
Thank you! Your input and participation are instrumental to the success of this project.