Parking Citation Process
If you have received a parking citation from the City of San Gabriel, you will have two options:
1. Pay the parking citation by mail or online.
2. Appeal the parking citation.
You may pay your citation by mail
Follow the instructions on the back of your copy of the parking citation. You must pay the parking fine within 21 days or be subject to late charges and a DMV registration hold. Make a check or money order payable to the “City of San Gabriel” and write your citation number on your payment. Do not send cash. Please send payment to:
City of San Gabriel
Parking Citation Processing
P.O. Box 1056
San Gabriel, CA 91778-1056
To pay by credit card please visit:
You can appeal a parking citation
The process for appealing a parking citation consists of three levels of review.
First Level Review
The first level of review must be made within 21 days of violation or within 14 days of the mailing of the Notice of Delinquent Parking Violation. LATE APPEALS WILL NOT BE HEARD. You may obtain a request for administrative review form at the front desk of the San Gabriel Police Department or by downloading the form on the police department website and mailing it or dropping it off at the police station:
City of San Gabriel
ATTN: Parking Administrative Review
625 South Del Mar Avenue
San Gabriel, CA 91776
Appeal parking citation(s) online:
- First Level Review requests are informal, written statements, outlining why the citation should be dismissed, including copies of related documentation. There is no cost for an administrative review.
- Your appeal will be reviewed by a parking citation review officer who will determine the validity of your appeal in accordance with the provisions of parking enforcement policy and state law. A written response will be sent to the appellant after receipt of the administrative review form.
- Certain violations, such as those written for parking in a disabled parking space without a permit may be processed for a reduced fee in lieu of the full bail amount.
Second Level Review
If you have a contested a citation and your request to cancel the citation have been denied, you may contest the first level review ruling before a Hearing Examiner. This hearing may be conducted in person or by written application at the election of the appellant. The second level review administrative hearing must be postmarked within 21 days of the notification mailing of the results of the first level review. To schedule an administrative hearing or for additional information, please call 1-866-453-3040.
- Second Level Administrative Hearings are conducted by an independent referee who will review the administrative file, amendments, and/or testimonial material provided by the appellant and may conduct further investigation or follow-up on their own.
- State law requires the appellant to pay the original penalty of the parking citation prior to the hearing.
- State law allows only one continuance of the hearing.
Third Level Review
If you disagree with the verdict of the Hearing Examiner, you may file a civil case with the local court. You must file your case within 30 days of the Examiner's verdict and pay all fees required by the court. If the court decides in your favor, any and all penalties, including court fees, will be refunded to you when the City receives written judgment. If judgment is in favor of the City of San Gabriel, the action is ended and all penalties are forfeited.