Financial Transparency Portal
In an effort to enhance transparency in financial reporting, the City of San Gabriel is offering an interactive reporting tool that allows the public to explore the City of San Gabriel financial data online. Even though the City already produces and distributes its budget and financial reports through the City website, this financial transparency portal gives you the ability to examine the data by yourself by viewing charts and graphs, or downloading the information into an excel spreadsheet. Click the link below to navigate to the financial tool:
Sample Screen Shots of Financial Tool
Tips on Using the Financial Portal
- The portal allows you to explore budget and historical finances in simple graphical user interface.
- The main view includes a chart or graph, a legend, and various controls to view expenses by department
- You can always access the portal by navigating to
- There are five different types of visual representations of the data - an area graph, an area graph by percentage, a line graph, a pie chart, and a table.
- You can change your view at any time by simply selecting the different type of representation. These functions are on the top right.
- The data will automatically convert to the new format.
- You'll notice the title of the chart or graph you are viewing on top along with the account type selector.
- You can use the filter tool to see data that is of most interest to you.
- To focus on specific data - like a department, expense type, revenue type, or any combination - look to the left and use the menu on the side panel. These selectors allow you to specify exactly what breakdown you want the graph or table to represent.
- What you select "Filtered By" the data filter pops up and allows you to turn on or turn off selected filters for that category.
- You can also download the data into a .csv spreadsheet or a .png image.
- You can share the data, in any view, on a social network or by email.
- When addressing the financial results of the City, it is important that we focus on the City of San Gabriel's General Fund.
- The General Fund is the main operating City and supports the regular day-to-day operations of the City.
- Some expenditures or revenues do not track year to year.
- For example, there may be expenditure for a specific item or project in 2013 that the City no longer uses.
- These expenditure categories will only be visible for the years they were used. After that, they will be zeroed out.